The entry into force of the Rome Treaties
The Treaties establishing the European Economic Community (EEC) and the European Atomic Energy Community (EAEC or Euratom) entered into force on 1 January 1958, being the first day of the month following the deposit, with the Italian Government, of the instrument of ratification by the last signatory state to complete this formality. The deposits took place in the following order: Italy (23 November 1957), France (25 November 1957), the Federal Republic of Germany (9 December 1957) and Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands (13 December 1957).
In the period between the signing, in Rome on 25 March 1957, of the EEC and Euratom Treaties and the actual establishment of the Community institutions nine months later, an Interim Committee for the Common Market and Euratom was responsible for ensuring coordination in Brussels of the work of the six governments, drafting some additional protocols, undertaking some technical work on customs and working on Euratom’s research programme and activities.
Since the EEC and Euratom Treaties established that the location for the seat of the Community institutions would be agreed between the governments of the Member States, the Foreign Ministers of the Six met in Paris on 6 and 7 January 1958. They agreed to group these institutions in one location as soon as possible and in conformity with the Treaties’ provisions. In actual fact, work began without delay in Brussels, Luxembourg and Strasbourg.