Decision of the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States on the provisional location of certain institutions and departments of the Communities. In a meeting held on 8 April 1965 in Brussels, the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States decided provisionally to locate the institutions and other bodies of the European Communities in Strasbourg, Brussels and Luxembourg.
Decision of 12 December 1992 taken by common agreement between the representatives of the governments of the Member States on the location of the seats of the institutions and of certain bodies and departments of the European Communities.
Protocol annexed to the Treaty on European Union and the Treaties establishing the European Community, the European Coal and Steel Community and the European Atomic Energy Community by the Treaty of Amsterdam of 2 October 1997.
During discussions on the subject of the High Authority seat, one of the alternatives was the town of Saarbrücken. On 25 June 1952, the daily newspaper Saarbrücker Zeitung lists the features of the town.
On 10 August 1952, in an address given at the Luxembourg City Hall during the inaugural session of the ECSC High Authority, Jean Monnet, the first President of the High Authority, thanks the City of Luxembourg, now seat of the High Authority, for its hospitality and for the efficiency of the services that it has provided.
In 1959, the Belgian State acquires the land of the Berlaymont monastery with a view to using it for the construction of a building that, in 1967, will become the main seat of the European Commission in Brussels, the ‘Berlaymont’ Building.
In this interview, Charles-Ferdinand Nothomb, Belgian Foreign Minister from 1980 to 1981 and former President of the Chamber of Representatives, describes the importance for Belgium of the Brussels-based seats of the European Commission and NATO.
In an address given to the European Quarter Foundation in Brussels on 25 November 2003, Neil Kinnock, Vice-President of the European Commission and Commissioner with special responsibility for administrative reform, outlines the main features of the institution's property policy in the Belgian capital.
In its 7 September 2004 issue, the Bulletin Quotidien Europe looks at the forthcoming arrival of EU officials at the Berlaymont Building in Brussels, which has been renovated and had asbestos removed from its structure. The article emphasises the advantages of the new structure as well as the cost of the project.
On 21 October 2004, in Brussels, in the presence of the Belgian Prime Minister, Romano Prodi, President of the Commission, gives an address at the inauguration of the Berlaymont Building, following the long period of renovation work.
The Luxembourg weekly Le Jeudi dedicates its 19 September 2002 edition to the threat faced by the seat of the European Commission in Luxembourg of losing its political weight to its seat in Brussels: technical and administrative services endowed with merely executive powers would gradually replace more political services enjoying decision-making powers.
On 11 February 2003, the European Commission adopts a plan for the consolidation of its services in Luxembourg and empowers Neil Kinnock, Commission Vice-President for Administrative Reform, to sign the final agreement with Luxembourg’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Lydie Polfer.
On 24 March 2003, through an exchange of letters between Neil Kinnock, Vice-President of the European Commission, and Lydie Polfer, Luxembourg Foreign Minister, the European Commission and the Luxembourg Government adopt an agreement on the Commission departments based in Luxembourg.
Le 27 septembre 2004, le journal luxembourgeois Le Quotidien publie un entretien avec Martine Reicherts, chef de service de l'Office Infrastructures et logistique (OIL) de la Commission européenne au Luxembourg.